Hello and welcome! My name is Vincent Rennich and I am a life long area resident from Somers Point, New Jersey. I have been married for 25 years and have two children. I have worked as a casino table games supervisor for the past quarter century.
Through an accidental finding, due to a car crash, I found out that I have lung cancer. I have never used tobacco products and I truly believe that inhaling second hand smoke for the past 25 years is the cause. This past September, I had to have the top right lobe of my lung removed, which is about the size of a football. I was extremely fortunate and very lucky to have caught this in the early stages. Only 16% of people find out this way. Tragically, the other 84% do not make it a year.
Through fate or divine intervention, I feel that it is my calling, if you will, to have smoking removed from the casino floor. My goal is to have my many friends and co-workers and the thousands of other men and women that work on the casino floor to have a safe and smoke free environment. We all deserve the same rights that are allowed to everyone else in the state of New Jersey except casino workers and patrons that do not want to be harmed by the deadly effects of second hand smoke. I know in my heart, that it is unconscionable and I do believe unconstitutional to say which group of people can or cannot be protected from the dangerous effects and exposure of second hand smoke.
This is not an economic issue. It is, and always will remain a health issue. The casino industry is only concerned with profits and bottom lines and not the health and welfare of its dedicated employees. Who in there right mind, would put money above precious life itself? I guess it comes down to excess, arrogance and greed.
The tobacco and casino lobbyists have worked hard to keep you and I in harms way for many years. However, the time has come for your voice to be heard and your rights protected. Please help me as well as yourself to rid the casino floor once and for all from ravishing and deadly effects of being exposed to cancer causing second hand smoke. Please take a moment to view and sign the petition to show New Jersey legislators that you believe casino workers are not second class citizens and deserve the same protection that all other New Jersey workers receive! Also, please pass this website on to friends, neighbors, family members and everyone in your address book that resides in New Jersey.
Heartfelt thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes.
Secondhand smoke meets the criteria to be classified as a potential cancer-causing agent by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the federal agency responsible for health and safety regulations in the workplace. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), another federal agency, also recommends that secondhand smoke be considered a potential occupational carcinogen. Because there are no known safe levels, they recommend that exposures to secondhand smoke be reduced to the lowest possible levels (1).